Actively Using Courage (and a new Falcon Blessing)

For general topics about Houses. If it doesn't seem to go in any other forum, stick it in here.

Moderator: Snag

Actively Using Courage (and a new Falcon Blessing)

Postby JohnWick » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:57 am

Inspired by a session with Snag (therefore, he gets credit for this), let’s talk about another use for Courage.

Everyone knows how Courage risks against Terror work. You fail, you have to start spending Style Points. Even if you succeed, you have to spend wagers equal to the Terror.

Okay, friends. You can thank Snag for this one...

You can read more in the News and Design Blog.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Re: Actively Using Courage (and a new Falcon Blessing)

Postby theotherandy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:40 am

JohnWick wrote:Even if you succeed, you have to spend wagers equal to the Terror.

Does this appear in the book/PDF? I've looked for it (including searching for "terror" in the PDF), and I can't find it.
theotherandy

Postby Snag » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:57 am

I believe that's 'if you succeed, but don't beat the ork's Terror roll', but I'm having a touch of trouble finding it my own self.
Snag, O.T.D.O
Caffeine enabler
Blooded of the Raven? No? Damnation.

My Plains produce Win!
Snag

Postby JohnWick » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:26 am

theotherandy wrote:
JohnWick wrote:Even if you succeed, you have to spend wagers equal to the Terror.

Does this appear in the book/PDF? I've looked for it (including searching for "terror" in the PDF), and I can't find it.

No, it's a new rule I made up while running the game last Saturday.
The Reverend John Wick, PhD, D.M., KoAL, G.M., ST, Narr., G.A.M.E.R., Master Mason
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:18 am

Could you post more details about the new rule about Terror?
Especially how this new rule would change the rules on terror on page 406, paragraphs "Determine Terror" and "Effects of Terror"?
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby JohnWick » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:16 am

Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:Could you post more details about the new rule about Terror?
Especially how this new rule would change the rules on terror on page 406, paragraphs "Determine Terror" and "Effects of Terror"?

I haven't changed Terror at all. Still works the same way. The character using Courage cancels the effects of Terror.
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:11 pm

But the statement: "Even if you succeed, you have to spend wagers equal to the Terror." is not reflected in the rules. If I read the rules correctly, then the Narrator rolls Terror, the player rolls Courage (excluding the wagers) and if the player wins, he gets bonus dice for his wagers. In the book, I can't find anything about "spending wagers equal to the Terror."

So I don't understand this... :(
"No rulebook has deserved the name 'rules bible' more than 'Houses of the Blooded'." (a friend about all the discussions, corrections and additions to the HotB rules on the forums and in our gaming group)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby JohnWick » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Ashkelion-Yvarai wrote:But the statement: "Even if you succeed, you have to spend wagers equal to the Terror." is not reflected in the rules. If I read the rules correctly, then the Narrator rolls Terror, the player rolls Courage (excluding the wagers) and if the player wins, he gets bonus dice for his wagers. In the book, I can't find anything about "spending wagers equal to the Terror."

So I don't understand this... :(

Wow. For some reason, the text didn't make it into the book. Okay, let me fix that.

When a ven loses a Courage risk against Terror, he must make a number of wagers equal to the rank of the Terror to take any risks against the ork. He must make these wagers just to overcome his own fear.
JohnWick
Site Admin

Postby Ashkelion-Yvarai » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:01 pm

So this is in addition to spending a style point to take a risk because your courage has failed you?

And if I succeed in my risk against the terror, I still gain bonus dice based on the wagers I made against the risk?

I am beginning to understand this! :)
Ashkelion-Yvarai

Postby Kyocera Ru » Fri May 28, 2010 6:27 am

I've got to admit I still don't understand this at all.

As I read this, the Narrator rolls a number of dice equal to the ork's terror rating. The character rolls their courage. Straight contested roll.

But now you ALSO have to put aside wagers equal to the terror rating? So the terror rating not only gives the ork dice, but takes away dice from the character? That would seem to make it nigh-impossible to beat anything more than a rank 1 or 2 ork in a courage risk, even if you're a 5 courage falcon.

Or do you mean that even if you succeed, you have to spend wagers on OTHER risks against the ork first, like attack rolls? That makes orks quite a bit more deadly.

But wait, toward the end of this thread it seems to imply that you only have to spend the wagers if you fail, and if you succeed you just get your wagers as bonus dice as usual.

I am so confused right now.
Jeffrey Witthauer
Evil Narrator of Knoxville, TN

Play Blood & Tears at Dragon*Con 2011!
Kyocera Ru

Next

Return to Houses of the Blooded: General Discussion